I mean, the continuing storrrrrrry of a DIY kitchen remodeling project.
[skipping the triple panorama action on this one and putting in a National Forest panorama instead]
1. Refinishing the cabinets.
YAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The last of the cabinet refinishing is complete (#6 on the original list)! All I had left was the interior of the corner pantry and despite the dread of dealing with unloading and reloading the contents, I did it.
Now if only the doors were reinstalled because the special order hinge screws had arrived. A girl can dream.
2. Dealing with that weird (dumb) drywall/exposed beam/pantry door frame mess.
This isn't on the list, because I thought after I re-textured and painted that last wall in the hallway I would continue to ignore it. But it turns out that I can't ignore it.
It also turns out that I didn't find any kind of adequate solution in the building hardware section at the home center. Or any of the other sections I tried. This is going to take some thinking.
~~ Instead of a photo of the fix, I will insert an exasperated sigh here. ~~
3. Replace switches an outlets by wood stove (plus the hallway).
|Yet again, highlighting the as yet refinished and awful brick veneer.|
The terrible brick veneer is on tap to be painted and glazed in mostly greys, so I went with grey switches. I know there are folks who want all the switches/outlets/plates in the house to match each other, but I like them to blend with the surface they're on if I can with the occasional exception for a novelty or decorative plate. The downstairs is nearly complete!
Another not-fun, seemingly small project. But well worth it for the result in my opinion.
I have probably ranted about this before, but DAMN IT! Whoever wired this house when it was being built saved something like $5 over the whole project by leaving the least amount of wire possible in the boxes for outlets and switches. Even one more inch/box would make all the difference for replacing these outlets and switches. As if that weren't frustrating enough (and truly it is WAY more frustrating than "enough"), whoever wired this house when it was being built also cut the ground wires extra short. In the case of the light switches they apparently weren't required to be grounded in 1976. Ok. Whatever. BUT they also cut them extra short for the outlets, that indeed were grounded. BUT this means that in some cases there is not enough wire to turn the outlets right side up! Or what we consider right side up. [insert cuss-laden name-calling here]
Of course, they didn't have the grey screw-less plates in stock at the store, so I had to order them online. And of course, I'm too cheap to pay for shipping for this kind of thing and had them shipped to the store. And of course, that means it took about two weeks to get them. The truth is that it doesn't matter that much, because I am not installing them until all the other stuff to do with the wood stove area is done. I just feel better when things are more certain; it's nice to know that as soon as I am ready the materials are here and ready for me.
4. Paint wood stove and stovepipe.
I finally called stovepaint.com to ask my questions and having received satisfactory answers I ordered a quart of the stuff in metallic charcoal. It's due Friday this week at Eric's office where it cost 1/3 less to ship.
L. Unrelated to the kitchen project.
The lilacs are early this year, along with everything else.
Like the balsam (and at least a dozen other types of wildflowers) which have been up for a couple weeks.
And the pine pollen. Crap.
The original list of the order I thought the projects will happen.
15. Paint wood stove and stovepipe.
13. Build a door of some sort for that too-big hole for the microwave & deal with the inside.