Sunday, January 21, 2018

Limited Shelf Life III

We're almost there!

The last two bits to consider this part of our Guest Room Update are complete!

First, I tackled the lower, left shelf which holds a power strip for our network hardware (and that amp below it on the floor) and the wifi router which is connected to the wifi internet router which is on a post about 80' from the house. Meaning, it would be a huge pain in various body parts to move it and there's really no better place for it. These two pieces and their various cords were a jumble that hangs out the front of the shelf. By attaching the power strip to the wall using the hangers on the back of it, I was able to make room for the router and all the now-gathered-and-tied cords on the shelf.

Then, I used the fabric stiffened with fusible interfacing to make a curtain. I used a purchased tension rod to mount it. We can just pop the whole thing out if we need serious access to that stuff or just move it out of the way to plug or unplug or reboot things.

Second, I tackled the upper, center shelf backing. After adding the backing to the center, right shelf on which we're displaying Eric's growing collection of author-ly souvenirs and such and covering the jumble of network equipment and cords, the relatively empty shelf showing all that back wall stood out in a way that I didn't like. Luckily, I had enough of the bark-print fabric and polypropylene to make another backer for it. However I didn't have enough interfacing, BUT I was able to get it just a few miles from home instead of having to drive all the way into Missoula. WOO!

I think it helps the whole shelf look more like a cohesive unit rather than several pieces shoved together.

The center section books are all by authors Eric knows in some form or other through Jennie the Agent, Angry Robot, etc. Even since I started this project we have more books to shelve, so those books will join these pretty shortly, likely on the left end for a more balanced look.

I'm super pleased that this project has been accomplished using mostly things from our supplies stashes. At this point the only thing we had to purchase was 10' of 3/4" quarter round moulding of which I used 9' 5.5", a small tension rod for which I used a 40%-off coupon, and 2 yards of fusible interfacing.

    OUT OF POCKET COSTS (to date):
      $ 5.70 - quarter round
      $ 3.59 - tension rod
      $ 5.00 - fusible interfacing

For now we're going to call this project complete! I'll post about how I did the backers soon. Most likely.

NOTE: We realize that storing books stacked on their sides isn't the best way. We hope this won't be in place more than a couple-few more years. Hopefully it is less harmful to paperbacks, because most of those stored that way are paperback.


  1. My brother suggested I would possibly like this website.
    He was once totally right. This publish truly made my day.
    You cann't consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information!

  2. That bark print is the bee's knees!

    1. Thanks! I think so, too. I couldn't leave the store without it a few years ago and have pulled it out several times as a possible option for projects, but it's never been quite right. I alllllmost made a table runner at Thanksgiving this year, but am so glad I didn't actually do it!


It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!