Thursday, August 23, 2018

Let's Potty! Part I - A Water Closet Renovation





This reflooring project really opened a can of worms! And in this case it's having me open a can of whoop-ass on "the can."


When I made that little collage-thingie back when we first moved here, I forgot to include the cheap-ass, NOT EVEN REMOTELY CENTERED light fixture. Apparently, that's a thing up in here.

We have what amounts to a weird little half-bath in the master bedroom. A half-bath that is comprised of a tinier than usual water closet and then a very vintage, wall-mounted, corner sink right outside of that.



The sink area had been carpeted (ick) so I replaced that floor when I did Phase VI: the closet.  As with the guest closet, it seemed like a good opportunity to complete some other projects in the space while it was emptied... i.e. the toilet was pulled.

Phase A: Remove wallpaper, repair/resurface walls

It already looks bigger, just having most of the paper removed!



I didn't get a photo after I painted, but here are the resurfaced walls with a good coat of primer.

Phase B: Paint/VP walls & ceiling.


Since the room itself is so narrow and vertical, I decided to do a very horizontal application to hopefully help draw the eye side to side. Hopefully not so much side to side that anyone misses the center. If you catch my drift.

Phase C: Replace/refinish light fixture.



I didn't find a light fixture that ticked all the boxes: inexpensive, attractive, appropriate finish, replaceable bulbs - so many LED fixtures have non-replaceable bulbs! So I decided to just paint over the cheap-looking, shiny brass-plated base with not-exactly-un-cheap-looking, faux oil-rubbed bronze spray paint and replace the glass shade with this schoolhouse style. I already had the spray paint and the shade was about $5!

Phase D: Install floors and all that goes with that.

1. Remove base moulding.
2. Remove existing hardwood.
3. Pour self-leveling subfloor with Eric's assistance.
4. Install LVP.
5. Refinish and reinstall base moulding.



Phase E: New TP hardware

Soooooo many toilet paper holders are designed NOT to handle a double roll. I'm not going to buy special packages of TP for one of three toilets. Let me admit right here and now that I have a TP hardware style preference. I like the single-sided kind... you know, because anyone who happens to use the last of the roll has NO REASON not to replace the roll. Particularly, because I store a backup roll right there within arms' reach.  [pretends to make meaningful eye contact with imaginary person]

Photo taken outside, because I won't install it until after the toilet goes in. It's already a tight enough fit in there!


Sadly for me, I also have a penchant for rather expensive TP holders. Well, all house hardware, really, but I am also a really thrifty so-and-so. So, I got a good-enough holder at a home center then added it to a decorative storage crate purchased at a craft store. This way we can store a backup roll and a funny bottle of scented spray right there and should someone be inclined to bring a book in there, there's a place to set it!


Part II:
That new toilet!
The installed TP holder!
Another storage solution!
Handmade and vintage decorations!
... and not much more!



1 comment:

  1. Your physician will select the most appropriate medicine
    based mostly on potential negative effects, your needs, present medications, and
    medical historical past.

    ReplyDelete

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!