Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Adventures in DIY Flooring - Cutting the Rug V



Annnnnnd then the whole kit & kaboodle done all over again in the master bedroom and one of its closets. Priming, caulking, blocking, leveling, finessing the leveling, laying planks. The only difference was for some reason there has never been base moulding in here, so I didn't have to remove it, re-oil it, reinstall it. I would like to get some up, especially since now that the shag isn't disguising the bottom of the drywall and how it isn't painted. But also kind of want to repaint now, so... no moulding for now.

Note that we still don't have a headboard. Why are the king headboards that I like so expensive? Sigh.


I don't know if people still cut costs by not replacing the floors in closets when they do the rest of the rooms, but I am sure glad we forgot that was even an option and just went ahead and budgeted for the whole deal. Even this little cedar closet in the master bedroom that we forget is even there.




Anyway, we've spent quite a bit more than we were initially expecting to level up the floors, so I don't feel compelled to buy what is mostly likely going to be a special order lumber: 1x3 clear fir. Assuming we want to match the rest of the base moulding, that is.

I'm not excited about the base moulding in general in the rest of the house. I mean, it's fine and all, but nothing I'd ever swoon over. So trying to find 1x3 fir just to match the rest of the house isn't inspiring me. I'm not saying that won't be the way we go, but that I won't be going any way at all right away. 

I think I might take a little break from the floors before I tackle the master walk-in closet & W/C, as well as the hall bath, and office/craft studio/sewing room/auxiliary guest room. There are plenty of other projects around here - some that are more reliant on warm weather, like finally taking apart the oddly placed planting beds that we are letting revert to nature. And the similarly oddly placed wine barrel planters that we've also let go. While I really would like the place to look a little tidier, I really would not like to use our limited, potable water on non-edible plants or the limited hours in the day orchestrating such a feat. We didn't move to the woods on the side of a mountain to have a suburban landscape, after all.



I just want to take this space here to say THANK YOU, ERIC for helping with the self-leveling step on this portion of the project! The directions say it's not a one-person job and by gum they are entirely correct. Not only did it go faster, but it went more smoothly... both the process and the result. And thanks also for always helping with moving the furniture over and over for all of the rooms, too, E.

When still wet, it looks like a lake at dusk when the surface is like glass. A cement lake, but still.


__________________________________________________



Unforeseen additional steps:

Surprise effects downstairs: the self-leveling subfloor material found it's way downstairs in this one spot in the kitchen. Sigh. Luckily, unless you're pouring it over concrete you need a primer to make it adhere well... and I have more of this paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!