Thursday, May 2, 2013

Putting the "Comfort" in "Comforter"

We are loving our new bedroom and bed linens.  One of the reasons is that I made it so the comforter doesn't slip n' slide all around and require constant fussing.  I know what you're thinking.  "How did she do it?"  Well, I'll tell you how she, uh I, did it.

First off, instead of making it so that the opening was just along the seam, I made it "envelope" style like a pillow sham.  And I did it at the top where dogs and kicking feet spend less time.

I just went ahead and used the wide seam of the flat sheet for the finished edge on the envelope style closure.


Then I used a tip I saw on Pinterest: I sewed ties into the corner seams of the new duvet!

Sewn right into the seam.


And I sewed a loop onto the corners of the down comforter.  I used the seam that I cut off the flat sheet that became the back the duvet for all the ties and loops.

I used the zigzag stitch to attach them to the existing hem.



The comforter hasn't crept down or peeked out since!  POW!

All tied up!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, now that's thinking! I need to do this before I put the down comforter back on next year, for sure. I've always got about 6" of empty duvet up around my ears where I'd rather have a fluffy comforter. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I found that on pinterest! Even though sometimes a snap or two will come undone, you don't know because the comforter never slips out and shows itself and there's always some warmth up top, too! I will do this with every duvet for the rest of my life. If I remember.

      Delete
  2. Jiminy jillikers! Who proof-read that? No one, that's who. I had to go back and fix some stuff. Sorry folks.

    ReplyDelete

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!