Monday, March 30, 2015

One Step at a Time: The Bathroom Redo Edition. Volume 2

Nothing like opening the curtain all the way and taking a photo to really see what crummy shape the finish on your cabinets is in.

Tiny step-by-tiny step the main floor bathroom is on its way to seeming all new-ish!  After a thorough search of the local hardware stores, home centers, and used building materials suppliers, as well as a shout out to some local friends for resources, I purchased new cabinet pulls online. This time through Overstock.com.

The original pulls.  Soooo 1970s and to my eye, soooo suitable for some creepy Halloween prop!  That's right, I'm keepin' 'em.

While it's silly to install the new ones now when I will just have to remove them to refinish the cabinets, I did it anyway. I just love hardware and having this sit around in a cupboard just wouldn't do. One thing I am counting on is that a light sanding will remove most or all of the color difference from where the last pulls were. That's what happened upstairs with the same pulls and very similar cabinetry.  I'm just glad that whoever installed the originals didn't tighten the screws so much as to dent the wood... you see that a lot when you remove hardware.

Simple, but not plain... why so hard to find? These are even a brand carried at the big box home centers, Amerock.


I am still on the prowl for a pair of knobs for the floor-to-ceiling cabinet on the other side of the bathroom, by the door.  I have some ideas, but haven't committed to anything just yet.

Despite my lack of photography and GIMP skills, the wood on this floor-to-ceiling cabinet is pretty close to the same color as the vanity.

I am not yet sure how I am going to handle the hinges (see photo, top).  I have not found the right finish locally and buying them online means either paying a lot or buying in bulk such as I end up with several extras (I need 12).  I am considering painting them, but I fear the results will be unsatisfactory and I'll end up buying new ones anyway.  I also haven't totally decided how I am going to refinish all these cabinets, but I do know what I want to do. I just have to do a test on the back of one of those vanity doors to see if it will work.  Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!