Sunday, May 19, 2019

Overbooked? Making our Library Space 1C



I struggled to get excited about getting started with this room. I thought I'd start demo in February. And then we got DUMPED ON by the Snow Gods in Feb and I spent a goodly portion of many days dealing with snow removal, sometimes plowing & shoveling twice a day for at least an hour each time. I honestly don't remember exactly when I really got started emptying the room, but it was probably near the end or March or beginning of April. For some reason, I didn't remember that once I got past the Undoing Phase and onto the Doing Phases, I would feel that old enthusiasm. Or at least some of it. Sigh.

You may notice a slight difference in color on the left and right. The left is the still-wet second layer of skim coat, the right is the dry first layer. My trusty hawk and trowel sit on my trusty step stool.

Since my last post, I have A) primed the seriously damaged drywall substrate I was left with after removing wallpaper and fake paneling (no photo), B) skim-coated the appropriate walls, and C) primed those walls, and D) primed and painted the ceiling.

Paint this knock-down (i.e. "brocade") textured ceiling is a humongous pain in the butt. Even with the long-nap roller, the priming, the slow and tedious attention to every stroke the first coat was riddled with holidays. Brining in the halogen work light helped a lot with the second coat, but boy did this whole thing go a long way to supporting my personal distaste of this texture.

I know most people love light-and-bright, but dark-and-cozy is my jam, so it was a little it of a thrill to get this darker grey primer up in preparation for the dark, indigo blue.

I have also ordered some Modern Masters brand (acrylic) Venetian Plaster in the Ultra Deep Tint Base, and picked up sample pints/quarts of paint to give the colors a test run, then gone back to purchase a gallon of each. I also did a test tinting of the Venetian Plaster with tint purchased when I picked up the gallons.



______________________________________________________________

THE BREAKDOWN

Phase I
1. Empty that room!
2. Remove base moulding
3. Remove closet doors & hardware
4. Remove the carpet and pad
5. Remove tack strips and staples
6. Remove chair rail and paneling
7. Determine if wall paper is removable
8. repair walls
9. prime walls and ceiling
10. paint walls and ceiling
11. decorative finish(es)?
12. Replace light fixture
13. Replace switches and outlets, covers
14, make and install closet shelves, etc.
15. prime existing subfloor x 2
16. pour self-leveling subfloor
17. install LVP
18. reinstall base moulding
19. reinstall closet doors
20. install transition piece at doorway
21. make window covering
22. install window covering

Phase II
1 - ?. Build built-in bookshelves
... Finish last course of flooring
... Add base shoe or other moulding
... Add picture rail moulding

No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!