Monday, April 1, 2013

Overtly and Overly Crafty: A $0 Lampshade Makeover

Just before Tiffany visited, I found and installed the lampshade on the bedside lamp in the guest room.  I also noticed it was pretty grungy.  Blech.  Then a couple of days ago I saw a pin on pinterest that gave me the idea of covering it with fabric I already had.  

It's a funny little lamp, but I like the square base and it's small enough to fit on the tiny bedside table in there.



Enter green burlap.  As much help as pinterest is, it has also nearly ruined burlap for me because it's just everywhere for everything.  I'm glad I made window and shower curtains of it a few years ago to mostly satisfy my urge to make things out of it.  I had picked up this yard-or-so of the green from the remnant bin at least a year ago.

burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade


I "rolled" the shade around on the burlap to get a basic shape, then cut it out.  I decided to utilize the selvedge to finish off the wrap.




I used spray adhesive on the shade, started the wrap at the seam on the shade, leaving the selvedge to overlap at the end.  Then I cut off the extra at the end.

burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade


Next I cut the extra off the top and bottom, but left some of the extra on each end of the selvedge. so it would look tidy after gluing it down.


burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade


I thought about trying to trim off that little odd bit in the selvedge, but I liked the little bit of quirkiness it added.  It is burlap after all and just making it green doesn't make it fancy.  But what to trim it with?  Before heading off to the store, of course I had to look in my trims bin.  Did I find what I was looking for?  No.  Did I find something ridiculous?  Yes, I did.

burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade ridiculous_lampshade dingle_balls pom_poms


Again I started at the same seam and used Fabri-Tac long both top and bottom of the tape and laid the dingle balls over the lip of the shade so their weight would hold up the trim while the glue dried (which was very quickly).


burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade ridiculous_lampshade dingle_balls pom_poms


Once I got to the corner, I cut the tape with enough extra to fold over about 3/8", glued down that hem and then the last bit and held it with my fingers until it dried.  But what about the top?  I'd have liked to have found something in a similar blue as in this trim, but didn't find anything in the bin.  I'd have settled for the pink, even, but no dice there, either.

burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade ridiculous_lampshade dingle_balls pom_poms



Enter green leaf trim that has been in every trim stash I've had in my life... including my mom's.  So, on it went.  Again with Fabri-Tac and again matching the other seam; this trim didn't require making a hem and the pattern matched up just right!  (not pictured, sorry about that)

burlap_lampshade crafty_lampshade ridiculous_lampshade dingle_balls pom_poms
This is not the guestroom, it's the mudroom.  All the photos were taken here on the deep freeze or on the dining room table.


Now that's a lamp that looks like it's had one heckuva good time at one crazy-wild party!  Life is too short to take even lampshades seriously and to not embrace ridiculousness.

Oh, yeah.  All those colors are in the ridiculous fabric I have for the guest room window treatments.




13 comments:

  1. Love it! I think this would definitely qualify as an 'upcycle.'

    ~ Peggasus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It's so goofy, but it's hard not to smile at it.

      Delete
  2. Ridiculous? Perhaps. Awesome? Hells YES!! It looks perfect, Tara, like you've recovered a million lampshades. That pom-pom, braid trim is pretty funky, but it couldn't be more perfect than in this application. I can't wait to see the ridiculous fabric for the window treatments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the pompons that send it over the edge into ridiculousness! I always imagined I'd used those on a tuffet or something for a little girl in my life, not on a lampshade for a big girl's house! The window treament fabric is from Ikea, so you know it's bold. :)

      Delete
    2. I couldn't have said it better than Lisa did! I love it! Will you be mass marketing these for future reference? :)

      Delete
    3. There's nothing mass about my marketing, lady! ;)

      Delete
  3. Now there's a lampshade that would put a lampshade on it's OWN head! Nice work.
    btw, I love seeing your hands in the pictures <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That lampshade is the life of all the lampshade parties! I kind of like the hands in the pics, too, when it works out that way. Makes it personal, but not as personal as my face.

      Delete
  4. 100% improvement and I think I need to come back for a visit because I was jipped the first time. I got the plain boring lamp, not the FUN drunk party lamp :) Love that you used supplies on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully for our next guests and definitely by your next visit we'll also have shades on the windows!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic lamp! And using up whatcha have is even better.

    Must rummage my trim boxes for funky stuff for the living room lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 2 table lamps I'd like to use, but they don't have shades at all. I have to start checking the thrifts and garage sales, then re-rummage through my stash and/or rummage the remnant bins.

    ReplyDelete

It feels so good to read comments! If you're leaving one (or more!), THANK YOU! If you're not... c'mon, already!